Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Interview: Alana Noel Voth



Alana Noel Voth is one of those writers who goes where other writers won't go. She doesn't just push the envelope, she shreds it to pieces and makes confetti out of it. I have loved Alana's work for years and will read anything she writes-- twice. Her story "Big, Bad Wolf" is an excerpt from her novel-in-progress. To say I'm anxiously awaiting the novel would be an understatement.

What inspired you to retell this particular fairy tale?

To quote T.S. Elliott, "Good writers borrow. Great writers steal." A year ago, I had this dream about the most amazing looking woman I'd ever seen in my life having sex with a man who looked very much like Sam Merlotte from True Blood, who happens to be the most amazing looking man on the planet, and during my sex dream the man notices tufts of fur in the woman's hair and thinks she smells like blood, and because I like Sam Merlotte and wolves so much, I woke to my magnum opus. But this answer has nothing to do with fairytales. People are so screwed up and then you throw them to the wolves. A wolf disguises itself in a woman's body. Or the woman defends herself as a wolf. The big, bad wolf motiff has a lot to do with identity. It has a lot to do with power. This appeals to me.


How long have you been writing erotica?

Since I was thirteen. But what I wrote at that time had less to do with sex and more to do with power.


What is your favorite story you’ve written so far? Why?

"Big, Bad Wolf" is my favorite because it's all I've worked on since June 2009. Makes sense, right? I'm obsessed with it, haunted by it, and overwhelmed by it.


What advice would you give to aspiring erotica/erotic romance authors?

If you're a student, never sit in the same desk twice. If you go to an office everyday, never park your car in the same spot. And masturbate.


What is your writing routine like?

I suffer. I suck. I persevere. I prevail.


Are you a full-time writer? What is your “day job?”

No, I'm not a full-time writer, and people who are complain about it, so nothing's perfect. By day, I'm a nine-to-five licensed insurance producer who does everything from sales to customer service to education and marketing. In addition, I'm a single mother 24/7 and also on call. I'm tired. That's what I am. Mostly tired.


Do you write to music? Did you have a song or soundtrack for your Fairy Tale Lust story?

I'm not writing to music right now. I'm writing to the exhuberent cadence of my son swearing at his video game on the Xbox. But mostly I write to music. "Big, Bad Wolf" (the novel-in-progress) is so full of song references and bits of lyric, I'm going to have to cut 84% of them. Songs particularly important to the story are "Fire Lake" by Bob Segar, "Do You Know What I Mean?" by Lee Michaels, and "Piece of My Heart" by Janis Joplin. I'll never get tired of "Fire Lake" or red lipstick.

6 comments:

  1. If you're a student, never sit in the same desk twice. If you go to an office everyday, never park your car in the same spot. And masturbate.

    That's fabulous advice, O brilliant Alana—and there's something in there for everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, J-Man. Thank you. I think so. When I was a student in college I discovered sitting in a different desk each class encouraged me to introduce myself and get to know different people, view the room from varying angels, and speak up during classtoom discussions. When I taught writing, I used make my students move to different desks each class and they resisted, protested, and a few even refused. People get comfortable and then they get complacent, they stay in a box, develope tunnel vision. But that's just a theory based on personal experience and observation. :-)

    Writers should never become complacent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alana ~ I would have been one of those students protesting having to sit in a different seat. I was once told on a job evaluation that I was "resistant to change." And so I am. But I'm trying not to be. :-) Thanks for the excellent advice. (The masturbation part I have down already!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kris, you're welcome. :-)

    I'm so happy about this book, it's awesome. And I received my postcard today. What a pretty postcard. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have said those very words to my students. (and also moved their seats!) Writers should never become complacent. I think that is good general life advice as well...

    I hear you on the mostly tired part. (hugs) Thanks for sharing the excerpt! I can't wait to read the novel in the future.

    ReplyDelete