Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Interview at Night Owl Reviews

Last week, I was interviewed about Fairy Tale Lust and my writing career by Night Owl Reviews. One of their questions was about my advice to other writers. I always hate questions like that because-- hey-- what the heck do I know? I still read the advice of other writers! But I took a stab at it:

Do you have any advice for other writers?

Ignore the inner voice that says, "You're not a real writer" and keep writing. Because that's what real writers do: they write through the self-doubt.

Don't talk about what you're currently writing. Put your enthusiasm into the story and talk about it only after you've sold it.

Remember that a rejection is one person's opinion about one specific story on one particular day. That's all. Don't give it more power than that.

Read a lot and read critically. Learn from other writers by reading what they've written, not by what writing advice they give.

Write, write, write. And when you're tired and discouraged and don't think you can write another word, write another word. It really is just that simple. And just that hard.



I re-read my "advice"-- especially that last little nugget-- and feel like a fraud. Maybe I should take my own advice, hmm?

You can read the rest of the interview here. Thanks to Night Owl Reviews for interviewing me, even if I give lame advice!

No comments:

Post a Comment